NIOSH-Approved Spirometry Training courses offered at the University of Washington (UW) incorporate the most recent American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society (ATS/ERS) spirometry testing procedures and interpretation standards. The ATS is the leading medical professional society in the United States that provides evidencebased statements for pulmonary function laboratory standards, testing procedures, and the interpretation of test results. Both the 2-day initial and 1-day refresher spirometry classes are offered on UW campus or can be conducted at your site.
This course is designed for technicians who have never taken the NIOSH Spirometry certification course, or with certificates more than 5 years old. This class is appropriate for novice as well as highly experienced spirometry technicians.
- Basic physiology of the forced vital capacity maneuver and the determinants of airflow limitations.
- Pulmonary disease patterns in spirometry.
- ATS/NIOSH instrumentation requirements including calibration check procedures and sources of error and their correction.
- Performance of testing including subject coaching, recognition of improperly performed maneuvers, and corrective actions.
- Data quality with emphasis on repeatability.
- Actual use of the equipment under supervised conditions.
- Measurement of tracings and calculation of results.
- Common spirometry testing errors and applicable corrective actions.
- Evaluation consists of a written and a practical examination.
Additional Upcoming Course Dates
2-Day Initial Training Upcoming Dates:
Nov 4-5, 2017 | Seattle, WA | Registration
March 10-11, 2018 | Seattle, WA | Registration
1-Day Refresher Training Upcoming Dates:
October 14, 2017 | Seattle, WA | Registration
April 14, 2018 | Seattle, WA | Registration
October 13, 2018 | Seattle, WA | Registration
Program Changes effective January 1, 2009
NIOSH-Approved Spirometry course certificates are no longer valid indefinitely. Since January 1, 2009, NIOSH Spirometry certificates will expire five years after the date of course completion. Technicians who completed a NIOSH-Approved Spirometry course within the last five years are eligible to enroll in the 1-day Refresher course to maintain their certification. Technicians with certificates older than five years must repeat the initial 2-day course to maintain their certification.
For more information, please contact the course instructor:
Martha Horike-Pyne, RPFT, MPH, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-221-0971.
Co-provided by University of Washington Continuing Nursing Education