This training will provide practicing industrial hygienists and other occupational health and safety professionals with a fundamental course in noise and hearing loss prevention. Through didactic sessions and activities in this 8-hour course over two days, the participants will learn about the anatomy and physiology of hearing, noise exposure assessment and control, and audiometric monitoring, and training of employees from faculty with expertise in industrial hygiene, occupational medicine, and audiology. Case studies and examples will be provided to demonstrate best practices and appropriate use of equations used in the CIH exam.
Workplace Hearing Loss Prevention
August 26, 2020 9am - 11:30am PDT and 12:30pm-3pm PDT and
August 27, 2020 9am - 11:30am PDT and 12:30pm-3pm PDT
This course will be a virtual course via 2-way video conference. There will be four sessions delivered over two days for a total of 10 contact hours.
1. Describe the physiology and epidemiology of hearing.
2. Describe the basic physics of sound.
3. Recognize characteristics of noise induced hearing loss (NIHL), including interpretation of audiograms.
4. List the components of an effective hearing loss prevention program.
5. Use equipment to measure sound levels, calculate dose, and characterize noise exposure.
6. Recognize, select, and apply appropriate noise equations provided in the CIH exam.
7. Recommend and evaluate noise controls in accordance with the heirarchy.
8. Describe different types of hearing protective devices and their limitations.
CANCELLATION POLICY: In the event you cannot attend the course, there are a few options -- you can either cancel your registration, transfer your registration to another course, or transfer your registration to another person. If you choose to cancel, we must receive your cancellation in writing with at least 1 week notice, and a refund will be issued minus a $50 cancellation fee. If you do not cancel and are a no-show for the course, your tuition fee is forfeited. If you choose to transfer your registration, please state the course you are transferring out of, and the course you are transferring into. Transferring to another course is permitted only twice per course registration. If you are unable to attend the course after the second transfer, the above cancellation policy applies.