Please Note: you will need to have either a Google Gmail account or a University of Washington email account to complete your registration. This is a login requirement of the University's configuration of the learning management system (LMS) used for this course.
“Graduated Return to Work” is an online learning unit developed in 2013 as a collaborative project designed through a University of Washington – University of Otago partnership. The course is made available to participants from January 1- December 31, 2018.
View the Course Flyer here.
Healthcare providers including physicians, nurse practitioners, occupational health nurses, and physician assistants who see workers with occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Describe the physical, mental, vocational and social consequences of being out of work
- Explain why return to work is essential
- Develop a framework for planning graduated return to work
- Coordinate with stakeholders when developing realistic goals and timeframes for milestones
- Use tools for graduated return to work in clinical practice
- Apply a graduated return to work approach to injury treatment as part of an overall package of injury treatment
The course is broken up into several modules:
- Case Study: Back injury
- The Adverse Effects of Unnecessary Work Absence
- What Is Graduated Return to Work?
- Foundation for GRTW
- Ingredients for Success
- Barriers to GRTW
- Planning GRTW
- Implementing a GRTW Plan
Questions throughout the modules help reinforce what you have just learned. Your grade on these "knowledge check" questions do not count toward your final grade. At the end of each module is a short quiz. You must receive a cumulative score of at least 80% from all graded quizzes to receive the certificate of completion for this course. If you do not pass the course, you may retake the quizzes up to three times.
You have up to 3 months to complete the course. You do not need to complete the course in one sitting. Feel free to break it up into several sessions. We estimate that the course will take about three hours to complete.
Certificate of Completion
When you have completed and successfully passed the course, a PDF certificate will be emailed to you, which you can print out.
In order to fully register for the course, you must have either a University of Washington email account or a Google Gmail account.
The “Graduated Return to Work” online course is available to participants from January 1- December 31, 2018. You have up to 3 months from when you register to complete the course.
- You must have either a Google Gmail account or a University of Washington email account to register.
- Create an account on our Continuing Education website or login to your existing CE account and select the green registration button at the top to register.
This course is free. At the 'Checkout' page, select the radio button for 'Create Invoice' and you will be provided a receipt for $0.00.
**** This step is necessary to complete your registration. ****