Health and Safety Awareness for Working Teens in Agriculture Curriculum
This curriculum is designed for teens and young workers in grades 9-12 who will be working in agricultural employment settings. By teaching this curriculum, your students will be better prepared to deal with hazards in the workplace and in the classroom.
These materials are designed for use with students in grades 8-12. Students 18 years and older will be affected by different labor laws as they are adults and no longer covered by the "child labor laws". The information contained in this curriculum is still very applicable for young adult workers.
Materials include PDF documents containing teacher preparation materials, guided activities, learning objectives and masters for student handouts, answer keys, and other materials templates. Also provided are Powerpoint (PPT) slide presentations to use with each unit, and some video links (that will take you to other websites for viewing the videos).
Topics covered include:
- Identifying Hazards in Agricultural Work Settings
- Worker Rights and Child Labor Regulations for Agricultural Jobs
- Developing Solutions to Reduce and Eliminate Hazards
- Appropriate Ways to Communicate with Your Supervisor
- Dealing with and Preventing Sexual Harassment
Unit 1: Identifying Hazards in the Workplace
- Text: PDF
- Slides: PPT
- Video: "Teen Workers: Real Risks, Real Jobs" (NIOSH link to national version of UW DEOHS/WA Dept. of Labor & Industries video - 2010)
- Video: "Trabajadores adolescentes: Trabajos reales, riesgos reales" (YouTube Spanish language link to WA state video - 2005)
Unit 2: Worker Rights and Child Labor Regulations
- Text: PDF
- Slides: general PPT | Slides: "Jeopardy" game - Round 1 PPT | Slides: "Jeopardy" game - Round 2 PPT
Unit 3: Developing Solutions to Eliminate Hazards
Unit 4: How to Effectively Communicate with a Supervisor
Unit 5: Dealing with and Preventing Sexual Harassment