This course is designed for individuals interested in teaching the 10‑ and 30-hour general industry safety and health Outreach Training Program to their employees and other interested groups. Using the OSHA General Industry Standards as a guide, special emphasis is placed on those topics required in the 10- and 30-hour programs as well as those which are most hazardous. Students are briefed on effective instructional approaches and use of visual aids and handouts. This course allows the student to become a trainer in the OSHA Outreach Training Program, to conduct both 10- and 30-hour General Industry Outreach classes, and to issue cards to participants after verifying course completion. Students who wish to participate as authorized trainers in the OSHA Outreach Training Program must prepare a presentation on an assigned OSHA General Industry Outreach Training Program topic individually or as part of a group and successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course.
- Students must successfully complete the OSHA #511 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry course no longer than seven (7) years prior to registering for the trainer course.
- Have five (5) years of general industry safety experience. Please note that “working safely” in the industry does not meet the safety experience requirement.
A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation may be substituted for two (2) years of work related experience.
Authorized OSHA Outreach Training Program trainers are required to attend an OSHA #503 Update for General Industry Outreach Trainers course at least once every four (4) years to maintain their trainer status. The OSHA #501 Trainer Course in Occupation Safety and Health Standards for General Industry may also be used to maintain a trainer’s authorized status.
To Apply:In order to register for this course, you must apply using your legal name. (To update the name associated with your account, go to your account.)
You must also satisfy the course prerequisites. See the “Prerequisites” section above for more information.
- Prerequisite verification forms must be submitted under the account of the person wishing to take the course. They cannot be submitted on behalf of another person.
- Download the prerequisite verification form. Once you have filled it out completely, log in or create an account to upload the form along with any required attachments.
- You will be contacted by email if you are approved to register.
8:00 am to 3:30 pm | Monday–Thursday
ZOOM VIDEO CONFERENCE FORMAT
Connectivity requirements to attend the class:
(1) a high speed internet connection
(2) a desktop or laptop computer from which to work, i.e. a cellphone connection is insufficient
(3) an active webcam or onboard camera
(4) an active audio connection via either a computer microphone or separate telephone connection
WHAT TO BRING:
You will need to bring a government issued photo ID. You will be assigned an OSHA General Industry Outreach Training Program topic to present in class. Please bring any teaching or technical aids that will assist your training techniques, such as a laptop computer with PowerPoint capabilities.
Registration for this online class is generally restricted to residents or employees within OSHA Region 10 (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska). Please contact us regarding your eligibility to attend the class.