This course is designed for individuals interested in teaching the 10- and 30-hour construction safety and health Outreach Training Program to their employees and other interested groups. Using OSHA Construction Standards as a guide, special emphasis is placed on those topics required in the 10- and 30-hour programs as well as those which are most hazardous. Students are briefed on effective instructional approaches and use of visual aids and handouts. This course allows the student to become a trainer in the OSHA Outreach Training Program, to conduct both 10- and 30-hour Construction Outreach classes, and to issue cards to participants after verifying course completion. Students who wish to participate as authorized Outreach trainers in the OSHA Outreach Training Program must prepare a presentation on an assigned OSHA Construction Outreach Training Program topic individually or as part of a group and successfully pass a written exam at the end of the course.
- Students must successfully complete the OSHA #510 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry course no longer than seven (7) years prior to registering for the trainer course.
- Have five (5) years of construction industry safety experience. Please note that “working safely” in the industry does not meet the safety experience requirement.
A bachelor’s degree (or higher) in occupational safety and health, a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) designation may be substituted for two (2) years of work related experience.
Authorized OSHA Outreach Training Program trainers are required to attend an OSHA #502 Update for Construction Industry Outreach Trainers course at least once every four (4) years to maintain their trainer status. The OSHA #500 Trainer Course in Occupation Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry may also be used to maintain a trainer’s authorized status.
In order to register for this course, you must apply using your legal name. (To update the name associated with your account, go to your account.)
You must also satisfy the course prerequisites. See the “Prerequisites” section above for more information.
- Prerequisite verification forms must be submitted under the account of the person wishing to take the course. They cannot be submitted on behalf of another person.
- Download the prerequisite verification form. Once you have filled it out completely, log in or create an account to upload the form along with any required attachments.
- You will be contacted by email if you are approved to register.
8:00 am to 4:00 pm | Monday – Wednesday, September 20-22, 2021
8:00 am to 2:00 pm | Thursday, September 23, 2021
Please note that the class size is limited, and safety precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19 will be followed strictly. All attendees will be required to follow safety protocols.
WHAT TO BRING:
You will need to bring a government issued photo ID.
You will be assigned an OSHA Construction Outreach Training Program topic to present in class. Please bring any teaching or technical aids that will assist your training techniques, such as a laptop computer with PowerPoint capabilities.
Directions and Accommodations
From the Portland Airport:
Follow NE Airport Way south, this turns into NE 181st Avenue. Turn right onto NE San Rafael Street, then right onto NE 178th Avenue. Turn left in the Sheet Metal Institute.
From Downtown Portland:
Follow I-84 east. Take Exit #13. Turn right onto NE 181st Avenue. Turn right onto NE San Rafael Street, then right onto NE 178th Avenue. Turn left in the Sheet Metal Institute.
Parking is free in the Sheet Metal Institute parking lot.